Today’s challenge is a character face-off, and this was way harder than I honestly thought it was going to be.
Taken directly from the blog is what you have to do for this challenge:
And now, I give this a try. Here’s who I chose.
Opponent #1: Brienne of Tarth (A Song of Ice and Fire)
– WHO: A badass lady
knight who defies gender norms
– PROS: Loyal, brave, strong
– CONS: Maybe a little too loyal, awkward, might have a massive problem on her hands (she definitely does), could get killed by the author at any given moment
Opponent #2: Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)
– WHO: The smartest witch of her age and a member of The Golden Trio
– PROS: Brilliant, likes books, can put up with the two numbskull boys she calls her best friends and still keep a level head
– CONS: Kind of a know-it-all, party pooper, bossy
WINNER: Hermione Granger
WHY: It was an insanely close call and I’m still battling it out in my head, but as of this moment I’m going to settle on Hermione as the winner due to the fact that, even at a young age, she was holding her own against her fellow peers and taking the crap people gave her and throwing it right back at them. She’s strong, brilliant, clever, and knows when her friends need her to shape them up and kick them into gear. She’s the backbone and the brain in her trio, while the boys focus on their heart and their power, and without her, the trio would not have been as successful in what they’ve done. While I do think Brienne is also a good example of female strength and power, she lets her loyalty cloud her judgement a little too much, and I find myself feeling closer to Hermione and her unusual tactics and abilities (because, come on, witch). Bonus points for being a massive nerd and book-lover, which we’re not so sure about in regards to Brienne. Hermione wins this one, but it was a really hard decision.
And that’s my character face-off for this day’s challenge! Thanks for reading!